Hello, I am Dennis Reiman, Vice President, Technology and CIO at Southern. I hope that you had a great summer break and are looking forward to the start of the Fall Term. I would like to take this opportunity to welcome our new and returning students; best of luck as you pursue your academic goals.
Over the past year, the Information Technology team has made significant progress to improve the technology experience for those in the Southern community. Some of the key projects include:• Upgrades to learning spaces (classrooms) as part of a continuing effort to provide modern and compelling teaching and learning environments. Over seventy have been completed over the past few years.
- Upgraded technology in the Adanti Student Center Theater.
- Implemented technology enhancements to conference rooms and other administrative areas to modernize spaces and improve efficiency.
- Replacement of the entire wireless infrastructure to provide faster and more ubiquitous access.
- Launched the new Learning Technologies Governance committee (LTEC) that establishes a university-wide governance framework for the management of learning technologies.
- The addition of Eduroam service to our wireless network, increasing student, faculty, and staff access throughout the global Eduroam network (US Institutions map).
- Implemented Microsoft MyApps (https://login.southernct.edu) for an easier login experience using single sign-on (to over 25 applications).
- The migration of Banner to the Cloud as part of the System-wide Banner Modernization and Standardization project. This was the first step in providing a modernized ERP interface.
- Activated the new modernized data center located in the Buley Library.
Projects scheduled for completion over the next year include:
- Expanding the wireless coverage umbrella to open areas including the academic quad and athletic fields.
- Releasing the new website (with a refreshed design) built on a modern and extensible Web Content Management platform.
- Upgrading Banner modules that will result in an improved user experience for students, faculty, and staff.
- Implementing the Ellucian Mobile application.
- Releasing a system status website providing information on the availability and performance of critical applications.
- Modernizing and enhancing technology in additional classrooms and labs.
If you have any questions, concerns, or want to share your views, please feel free to reach out to us through the Help Desk, we really need your input. Happy computing.