Main Content

After Arrival in the United States

After arriving in the United States, J-1 Exchange Visitors must visit Jazmin Sharif in the Office of International Education (OIE) with their passport and DS-2019 to be welcomed and validated in SEVIS.

Your SCSU Faculty Hoot Loot ID card can be obtained by the University Card Office located in the Wintergreen Building on Wintergreen Avenue. If you are unsure of your SCSU ID number, contact the OIE.

J-1 Research Scholars and J-1 Short-term Scholars who are holding paid positions of employment must obtain an authorized letter from Jazmin to take with them to the Social Security Administration to apply for a Social Security Number as soon as possible.

Be sure to contact the OIE if a change of address or telephone number occurs so that the OIE can update your records in SEVIS.

If you have plans to travel outside of the U.S. during your J-1 program period, please inform the OIE at least two weeks in advance to receive a Travel Authorization signature on your DS-2019.