Main Content

English Graduate Handbook and FAQ

English Graduate Handbook

The English Graduate Handbook is your guide to the requirements of the Masters degree program. See the handbook for all information related to your degree not covered online.

English Graduate Handbook

 English Graduate Handbook (2018-19) (PDF)


FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)


For Prospective Students 

How do I transfer graduate credits from a previous institution?

During your initial meeting with the Graduate Coordinator, you can discuss whether and how your credits will transfer. Transfer credits may not constitute more than 25% of a student's planned program (that is, no more than nine credits for the 36-credit M.A. and M.S. programs), whether the classes were taken prior to admission to Southern or while matriculated in a program at Southern.

May I take classes as a visiting (non-matriculated) student, prior to officially applying?

Prospective degree candidates may register as part-time non-matriculated students in up to two graduate courses per semester. Up to nine credits of coursework taken as a non-matriculated student may be applied toward the degree. For instructions on taking English graduate classes as a visiting, or non-matriculated, student, see the Graduate Admissions site. 

For Current Students

I will already have finished my coursework during the comprehensive exam semester, or I did not finish my thesis or special project by the end of ENG 590. What should I do?

All students must remain continuously enrolled in the degree program until completion. To stay enrolled while completing your thesis, you need to register for 1 credit of Continuation Credits / IDS 900, and pay a continuation fee (approx. $150). For further information, see the Guide to Writing a Thesis. To register for, see the School of Graduate and Professional Studies: IDS 900 - Capstone/Course Completion Form.

What steps do I need to take to graduate? 

The awarding of the master's degree is not an automatic process. Students must apply for graduation by completing the online application through the Registrar's office by the beginning of the semester prior to that in which they hope to complete the degree. The Registrar page includes information for what to do if you have missed the deadline, as well as instructions for how to notify the School of Graduate and Professional Studies in order to participate in graduate commencement ceremonies.