What to know about the MSW Program at SCSU
What can you do to collect more information about our program and our application process?
- Check out our website at this link: http://www.southernct.edu/academics/schools/health/academic-programs/socialwork/graduate/mastersprogram/mswadmissions.html
- Attend our Open House and Information Session that are offered in the Fall- for open house information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email Judy Cullen ( email@example.com) for any specific questions you may have.
ABOUT THE MASTERS OF SOCIAL WORK PROGRAM AT SCSU
- We offer 4 program options to get your MSW:
- Advanced standing: requires a Bachelors in Social Work (BSW) within the last 6 years. There are both a one year plan and a two-year plan, both include a 700 hour internship. For more info visit this link: http://www.southernct.edu/academics/schools/health/academic-programs/socialwork/graduate/mastersprogram/advancedstanding.html
- 2-year program (60 credits): Includes 5 classes a semester, a 500 hour first year internship (roughly 18 hours/week), and a 600 hour second year (roughly 21 hours/week)
- 3-year program (60 credits): The first year is just taking classes. The second year is classes and a 500 hour internship, and the third year consists of classes and a 600 hour internship
*please note if you are planning to work, we encourage you to choose the 3-year program
- Cohort Program This program is specifically targeted for those interested in co-occurring disorders (COD), and is offered in even numbered years
More information on the Cohort Program can be found at this link on our website:
- We offer 4 specializations:
- Children and Families
- Social Work in School Settings
- Mental Health and Substance Use: Co-occurring Disorders
- Elders and Families
Follow the link for information on these programs:
- All programs begin in the Fall, except for the one-year advance standing option that starts in summer session “B” before your first Fall semester as an MSW student.
- Courses are offered at night, during the day, and on the weekends. We also offer a variety of “hybrid” courses which require half-time attendance on site at SCSU and online participation
- You may take up to 3 non-matriculated graduate level social work courses (nine credits) before or after your admission to our program (these courses include: SWK 510, SWK 550, & SWK 551). If the applicant is accepted into the MSW Program, these courses will be applied towards the 60 credits required to complete the MSW degree. No more than two courses (six credits) may be taken within one semester
- The only pre-requisite for our program is evidence of 20 semester hours in liberal arts or anthropology, psychology, sociology, etc.
- Evidence of successful completion of graduate non-matriculated courses
- We do NOT require: Graduate Records Examination (GREs) or statistics
- We do not interview prospective students
Other Admissions information:
For other admissions information please visit our website:
ALSO, consider attending our open houses and information sessions:
Graduate Admissions Open house: Thursday, October 4 from 3-7 p.m. in the Adanti Student Center ballroom
MSW Program information session: Saturday, October 13 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., in Engleman (EN) 121 A/B
Our deadline for accepting applications is December 15, 2018, and there will be NO exceptions made for materials received after that.
Best of luck as you move forward to make a career!