Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions for Parents and Families of Prospective Students

Welcome, parents! Below are some general answers to common questions. While we can't anticipate every question and concern, readers with questions unaddressed by this FAQ shouldn't hesitate to ask them -- staff, students, and faculty are all willing and eager to help prospective students and their families learn about Southern Connecticut State University. 

1.We're considering SCSU as our child's college choice. Do you recommend visiting the campus before applying, and how can we arrange a visit?

SCSU is a flourishing community of more than 10,000 students located less than three miles from downtown New Haven, near the artsy and historic Westville Village section of the city. We highly recommend that you and your student visit our campus, either before applying or soon after submitting an application. A student guide will give you a tour of the campus and answer questions you may have about Southern. You'll see our academic facilities, a residence hall room, dining hall, library,  student center and more. An admissions counselor will be available to review the application and admissions process in our daily information session. Sign up for a tour right online HERE.

2.When should my child submit her/his application for admissions?

The Admissions Office reviews undergraduate applications on a rolling basis throughout the year.  So the sooner an application is submitted and completed, the sooner we can get a decision back to your student!

3.How will SCSU notify my child of its decision regarding the application for admission?

All students are notified with an email and a printed letter mailed home regarding the outcome of the application evaluation. Prospective students are encouraged to check their application status online.  Directions for accessing this information are emailed directly to students once they apply to the University.

4.Are admission requirements for out-of-state students different than those for in-state students?

No, all students are evaluated in the same manner. However, in-state and some regional students are eligible for reduced tuition.

5.When will my child need to declare his/her major?

More than half of incoming freshmen do not declare a major. Two year state college graduates, however, must declare their preferred major field of concentration at the time they apply for admission to the baccalaureate program. We encourage students to begin to explore a major area of study as soon as possible. Students are not limited to any major and may change at any time. However, students should not adopt the narrow perspective of only focusing on the university's "general requirements." If this is done for the first three to four semesters, students will find themselves with only major area courses and a few electives that need to be taken. Many major course areas need prerequisites, or only a selected few of the courses may be offered during a particular semester. This situation could postpone a student's graduation.  

6.How much access will my child have to faculty?

With a students to faculty ratio of 15:1, students find it easy to keep in touch and develop strong relationships with faculty. All faculty keep office hours equal to the hours they are in the classroom. Information about the faculty member's office hours is always included in the course syllabus, and students are encouraged to take advantage of this time. In addition, e-mail and the internet make communication between students and faculty even easier.

7.Can my child start and finish his/her entire education at SCSU?

Yes! The university offers undergraduate bachelor's degree programs in liberal arts and in professional studies, and bachelor of science degrees in education with teacher certification. Within The School of Graduate Studies, Research, and Innovation (GSRI), the university offers programs of study leading to master's degrees and/or sixth year professional diplomas as well as a doctoral program in Educational Administration and Leadership.

8.Is help available if my child is having trouble in class? All professors hold office hours and encourage students to both ask questions and work collaboratively amongst themselves.

Moreover our Academic Success Center is a resource for students who are having difficulty with a particular course, as well as for students who aim to maintain a high academic standing. The Center provides tutoring, information and academic enrichment for all students seeking assistance in writing, math, science, and nearly all other courses offered at SCSU. Assistance may be provided by a professional academic assistant or by a trained student tutor. All services are free and available upon request.

9.Can my child live on campus, and if so, can he/she bring a car?

Yes, the Office of Residence Life provides on-campus living accommodations for undergraduate and graduate students who meet established eligibility criteria. Eligible upperclass returning students participate in a formal room selection process during the spring semester of each year. Incoming freshmen are typically assigned accommodations in Chase Hall, Farnham Hall, Hickerson Hall, Neff Hall, Wilkinson Hall or in West Campus Residence Complex. Incoming transfer students are placed in double rooms or in apartment-style housing, based on total academic credits transferred into Southern, on a space-available basis. Residence Life issues all parking decals, including overnight and visitor passes, for all students residing in the residence halls.

10.My child has a disability. Whom should we contact at SCSU to discuss disability issues?

SCSU is committed to providing access to a quality education for students, including those with documented disabilities. Please consult the Disability Resource Center for further information.

11.How much does it cost to attend SCSU? SCSU offers an excellent value for a quality education with a reputation for excellence. SCSU establishes tuition rates and fees for all students each year in July. For the most up to date information please visit Tuition and Fees.

12.How can I find out if my child is eligible for financial aid? In order to receive student financial assistance at Southern Connecticut State University, you:

  • Must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen of the United States
  • Must be registered with the Selective Service Administration (if a male)
  • Must be formally admitted by the Office of Admission by the financial aid's "priority" date
  • Must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by our "priority" date
  • Must be enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours per semester
  • Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

13.What is the SCSU Federal school code number?

The SCSU federal code is 001406.  Learn more.  (see: How to Apply for Financial Aid)

14.What is the deadline for applying for financial aid?

For the most up to date deadline and calendar information please consult the Financial Aid website.

15.If we own a house in Connecticut, are we eligible for Connecticut residency?

To qualify for in-state tuition, your family needs to reside in Connecticut. Owning a house in Connecticut alone does not qualify a student for Connecticut residency tuition. To change your child's status from out-of-state to in-state, you will need proof of residency, including Connecticut income tax and federal income tax forms for the most current year. Students residing in New England states may be eligible for the New England Regional Tuition Break program, depending on their intended major.

16.Will I have access to my child's grades?

Due to federal regulations, parents do not have access to their child's grades. Only if the student gives written permission to the Registrar's Office can grades be released to parents.

17.How can I notify my health insurance company that my child is a full-time student?

The simplest way is for your child to request an enrollment verification. To request a verification of degree, enrollment, or graduation, you should submit a written request with your name, Social Security Number, student ID #, semester to be verified, address to mail verification to or fax number to send verification to, and your signature. No e-mail requests are allowed. Verification of enrollment is not available for a semester unless the semester has begun. Download a verification form. Fax the completed form to (203) 392-5320. Or, you may contact the National Student Clearinghouse. Southern Connecticut State University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide enrollment and degree verifications. The National Student Clearing House can be contacted by:

Fax: (703) 742-4239
Mail: National Student Clearinghouse
13454 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171

18.What if I cannot pay my child's tuition bill by the due date?

The university offers interest-free payment plans for the fall, spring, and summer terms.  For more information on accepted payment methods and payment plan enrollment please visit the Student Accounts Office. Past-due student accounts will have a hold placed restricting access to grades/transcripts/registration/residence check in, are subject to a $50 late fee after the expiration of the 10-day grace period, and if applicable, the housing assignment/course schedule may be canceled. 

19.How safe is the campus? Southern Connecticut State University has its own police department that monitors the campus 24 hours a day. The Police Department also provides 24-hour escort services on campus. Students are assigned university ID cards and PINs that they are required to use to gain entrance to residence halls and buildings. Learn more about safety and security on campus.