Main Content

Academic Advisement Center

The Academic Advisement Center helps advise all returning students who are undeclared, first-time transfers, non-matriculated, or who have declared Interdisciplinary Studies as a major.

New Student Orientation provides all first-time, full-time students with the information and resources needed to have a successful first year at Southern. Learn more.

Financial Advising

Southern Connecticut State University has made financial literacy and advising a priority to help students and families by promoting the financial planning process. Learn more.

Declared Majors

Returning students who have declared or are ready to declare a major are advised from within that department. Contact the Center for a list of department advisers.

Undeclared Majors

Returning students who are undeclared are advised through the Academic Advisement Center. Contact the Center to schedule an appointment.

Business Majors

Students who declare business as a major are advised by business faculty advisers. Learn more.

Interdisciplinary Studies Majors

Students who declare Interdisciplinary Studies as a major are advised through the Academic Advisement Center. Contact the Center to schedule an appointment.

Non-matriculated students 

Non-matriculated students are advised through the Academic Advisement Center. Students who have never taken courses at Southern and have not applied to the university must fill out the Web Registration for Visiting Students form in order to register for part-time courses. Contact the Center to schedule an appointment.


Per Connecticut General Statutes 10a-99-d-3, tuition is waived for any resident of Connecticut sixty-two years of age or older who has been accepted for admission to such institution, provided (A) such person is enrolled in a degree-granting program, or (B) at the end of the regular registration period, there are enrolled in the course a sufficient number of students other than those persons eligible for waivers pursuant to this subdivision to offer the course in which such person intends to enroll and there is space available in such course after accommodating all such students.

Senior Citizens who have never taken a course at Southern and have not applied to the University must fill out the Non-degree and Visiting Students Form to obtain a student ID number and in order to register for courses.  Senior Citizens must also complete a Senior Citizen Waiver Request at the Student Accounts Office in the Wintergreen Building.  Upon receipt of a student ID number and completion of the Waiver Request, senior citizens may register for courses. 

Senior Citizens can begin registering for Fall 2019 on August 16th.


Students who declare nursing as a major when applying to the university but are not yet formally admitted or ready to apply to the nursing program work with a pre-nursing adviser.

If you would like further information or to schedule an advisement session, please call the Academic Advisement Center at (203) 392-5367. For advising questions, click on the box in the upper right-hand corner of this page. The Center is located in the Wintergreen Building on Wintergreen Avenue.

Office Hours:

Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm

Southern students — We care what you think! Tell us about your experiences with the following offices: Academic & Career Advising, Financial Aid & Scholarships, Financial Literacy & Advising, Registrar, School of Graduate Studies, Student Accounts/Bursar, and Undergraduate Admissions. We want to hear from you!

Feedback SurveyMaximize your potential text in a circle