Main Content

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Undergraduate students must contact Career Services to sign up for "co-op" before being authorized to participate in Curricular Practical Training (CPT).  Graduate students who are required to have immediate participation in a CPT program are waived from the requirement of one academic year of full-time enrollment.  The OIE may authorize an F-1 student to participate in a training that is an integral part of an established curriculum.

The academic advisor must indicate to the OIE the reason for the CPT, specifying the dates, the location of the site, and the name of the company (Important Note: please contact Michael Schindel at (203) 392-5454.  All CPT authorization paperwork must be completed before the student begins the CPT employment.  If the student already engaged in a cumulative 12 month- or longer full-time CPT, he or she will become ineligible for OPT.)

A very important Note! 

Engaging in CPT employment without the approval of the OIE is a violation of F-1 status.

*If you have any questions about CPT not listed on this website, please stop by our office or contact Michael Schindel at (203) 392-5454.