Main Content

Residency for International Students

F-1 Students Applying For Residency Reclassification:

Please bring the following original documents along with you to the Registrar's Office when submitting the Residency Reclassification Affidavit (please note that photocopies will not be accepted):

  1. Permanent Resident Visa card: Students are not eligible without a Permanent Resident visa.  There are no exceptions to this rule.  
  2. Passport 
  3. Political Asylum (Students studying in the United States under political asylum must bring in the original paperwork documenting the student's political asylum status.) 
  4. Current mortgage or lease (or rent receipts for the preceeding 12 months)
  5. Federal and Connecticut income tax return for the most recent year

 The following items are optional only, but recommended, as they carry "probative" value in the decision:

  •  Current driver's license 
  • Current automobile registration 
  • Certified copy of voter registration
  • Any other document that will establish proof of Connecticut residency 


 For additional information regarding residency reclassification, please contact:  


Jennifer Ruggiero
Assistant Registrar
Wintergreen Building 174A
Southern Connecticut State University
Phone: (203) 392-8887, Fax: (203) 392-5320