Institutional Research Specialist
Search #: S18-017
Job Posted: December 12, 2018
Rank: Administrator IV
Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice.
Founded as a teachers college in 1893, Southern has evolved over the past century into a comprehensive public university of more than 10,000 students, offering graduate and undergraduate programs in the liberal arts and professional disciplines. It is one of four universities in the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System. The University is located in New Haven, a city rich with arts and culture, and less than 90 miles from New York City and 140 miles from Boston.
Southern seeks a talented staff member to serve as Institutional Research Specialist. Reporting to the Director of Institutional Research, the position is primarily responsible for managing and reporting data on university enrollment, academic affairs, financial aid, human resources, and financial resources for staff and faculty in order to make optimum decisions. As a member of the small team in the institutional research office, the Institutional Research Specialist will conduct time-sensitive, high-stake projects and support other offices as well as the IR office to comply with state, federal, and accreditation requirements and respond to commercial surveys. The Institutional Research Specialist follows the ethics and standards published by the Association for Institutional Research and professionally performs daily office work independently of or in cooperation with other staff and faculty.
- Perform data analysis in support of institutional research and planning efforts of the University.
- Create, implement, maintain and document statistical programs, indexed archives of information and reports suitable for responding to surveys, questionnaires and federal and state data collection and accountability requirements.
- Design and create web based data collection and reporting mechanisms.
- Lead and engage in both quantitative and qualitative research and data analyses and share the results and inferences with relevant staff and faculty. Prepare institutional studies, plans and program assessments as directed.
- Provide data analysis to various planning bodies of the University as assigned, i.e., the strategic planning steering committee, enrollment management, etc.
- Develop computer report writing programs, including interfaces as needed, for administrative offices to support their data collection and institutional reporting requirements.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities related to those enumerated above with do not alter the basic level and responsibilities of the position.
Required Qualifications: Bachelor's degree and 4 years of experience in institutional research or relevant areas; professional experience with Banner, data management, and analysis; knowledge of STATA, SPSS, R, SAS or other similar statistical packages; and proficient advanced experience with Excel or ACCESS.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree. Knowledge of advanced statistics; ability to write and interpret statistical package’s command syntax; intermediate level of Excel formulas and functions; ability to build reports, and interactive charts/graphs using tools such as Web Focus, Tableau or Power BI; ability to work independently and collaborate with others; meet deadlines in a fast-paced office environment; excellent analytical skills and detail oriented; must be committed to data integrity, confidentiality and student success. These qualifications may be waived for individuals with appropriate alternate experience.
Application Process: For priority consideration, please submit electronically a letter of interest, resume and contact information of at least three professional references to: Institutional Research Specialist Search Committee Chair at OMIsearch1@southernct.edu before Friday, January 11, 2019. Review of applications will begin immediately. The position will remain open until filled.
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.